Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Food Kanji

I know this isn’t about dessert, but while researching Japanese confectionary, I've had this on my mind. 

The first things they always teach you in a foreign language are how to greet people, how to introduce yourself, how to count, how to tell time, and how to talk about your schedule. But it seems to me that, when traveling, you don’t need to know a lot of these things. When you’re traveling, you think about what you’re going to eat, and how much things cost. If you’re squeamish, you think about whether or not there’s going to be something you’re willing to eat.

 While I enjoy going to Japanese restaurants, and prefer the more authentic ones, I have to admit that a lot of authentic Japanese food horrifies me. So here’s my guide to Japanese food kanji, if you want to read the Japanese text beneath the English on your menu, or perhaps if you’re in a restaurant in Japan with no translations.

 What you might want to eat:

 

cha – tea


sake – alcoholic beverage


(go)han – cooked rice


寿司 sushi


握り寿司 nigiri zushi – hand-formed sushi (usually rice with fish on top).


巻き寿司 maki zushi – rolled sushi


刺身 sashimi – sliced raw food, usually fish and vegetables


味噌 miso


豆腐 tofu


漬物 tsukemono – Japanese pickles


gyuu – beef


tori – poultry


buta, ton - pork


蕎麦 soba – buckwheat noodles


饂飩 udon – wheat noodles


ラーメン (not actually kanji) ramen noodles


パン pan – bread


a(ge)- deep-fried


yaki- grilled


nabe -cooked in a pot


和菓子 wagashi – Japanese confectionary


mochi – rice cake

 

What you might not want to eat:

 

烏賊 ika - squid


unagi - eel


tako – octopus


河豚 fugu


熟れ寿司 narezushi – old-fashioned fermented sushi


活き造り ikizukuri – live sashimi


馬刺し basashi – raw horsemeat sashimi


塩辛 konowata – pickled marine animal innards

 

I’m going to especially memorize that last one.

5 comments:

Hans said...

I'd like to try some of that "pickled marine animal innards" ;)

I wonder how they manage to eat it.. whew.

Y-Maeda said...

Hello nice to meet you.
KO-N-NI-CHI-WA (^_^)v
I am Japanese.
I saw your wonderful site.
Please link to this site !
【Website】http://food-of-japan.blogspot.com/

Dhiraj Kumar said...

Delicious and lovely looking. Wonderfully prepared.*
Chinese Restaurant in North Campus

Dhiraj Kumar said...

Delicious and lovely looking. Wonderfully prepared.*
Chinese Restaurant in North Campus

Dhiraj Kumar said...

Delicious and lovely looking. Wonderfully prepared.*
Chinese Restaurant in North Campus